One Year MBA at IMD Switzerland
- Name of the B-School: IMD Business School (IMD Full form: International Institute for Management Development)
- Name of the Course: 1-Year MBA
- Start Date: 08th Jan. 2020
- Duration: 12 months
- Qualification: MBA
- Study Type: Full Time
- Campus: Chemin de Bellerive 23, 1001 Lausanne, Switzerland
IMD School of Management holds the triple accreditation of:
- AACSB International (the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business),
- AMBA (the Association of MBAs) and
- EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System
- No. 1 worldwide (2019) Financial Times Rankings of MBA Program – Criteria: International Mobility, International Faculty, Faculty with Doctorates
- No. 1 in Europe (2018) Bloomberg Businessweek – Global MBA rankings
- No. 1 outside the US (2017), Forbes, One Year MBA program
What is full time One Year MBA program?
As per IMD, an intimate, personalized leadership experience delivering an unmatched emphasis on entrepreneurship, globalization and digitalization, while equipping participants with the classic MBA toolkit.
The 1:2 Faculty MBA ratio enables professors to get to know each class member’s profile and aspirations, and to draw on their experiences during class discussions. Individual leadership coaching and career advice helps participants to better understand their strengths and weaknesses and the strong experiential element of this transformational program creates an environment that encourages MBAs to fulfill their potential.
The year-long journey prepares candidates for a fast-paced, evolving world. Throughout the year, IMD MBA participants develop the tools, skills, and self-awareness necessary to become the top business leaders of today and tomorrow. They graduate ready to make an immediate impact and equipped to play a role in shaping our society.
As per the B-School, IMD is a top-ranked business school with a global perspective. They understand the importance of not only having international accreditation but also building partnerships with other like-minded organizations from around the world. These relationships allow us to provide further diversity in our offerings and an understanding of what `real world´ means in all corners of the globe.
Class Profile 2019
- Number of students: 90
- Nationalities represented: 40
- Average Age at Entry (Min. 25 Years): 31 Years
- Average years of work experience (Min. 3 Years): 7 years
- Average GMAT score: 680
- Gender ratio: M 71% F 29%
- International Students 99%
- Asia 34 %
- Western & Southern Europe 32 %
- Central Eastern Europe 18 %
- Latin America 11 %
- North America 3 %
- Middle East / Africa 2
Leadership and responsibilities
51% managed teams of 10+ prior to their MBA
56% have been involved in digital transformation
39% have had start-up experience
Throughout the admissions process, the B-School is looking for a holistic overview of your academic ability, career progression, achievements, leadership capacity, international outlook, integrity, drive, initiative and interpersonal skills. They want to know what you will contribute to the learning experience of your classmates and to the future of business and society.
your degree should come from an accredited school.
A minimum of three years, full-time, post graduate experience is required, so that you can demonstrate your career progress. The typical range in the class is four to nine years.
choose people from business-related sources who know you well, have worked directly with you and who are able to highlight your professional achievements, interpersonal skills, teamwork and leadership, using our form.
GMAT / GRE
The average GMAT score in the class is typically around 680 and equivalent score in GRE. While your unique experience and achievements can help balance out a weaker score, the B-School recommends that you aim for above a 630 . Please ensure you list IMD as a receiver of your score.
TOEFL / IELTS
The entire program is taught in English. If English is not your native language and you have not previously studied in English, then you will need to submit a TOEFL or IELTs score. There is no minimum requirement. Ideally, they recommend 108+ on the TOEFL (IBT) or an IELTS score of 7.5 or above. Our TOEFL IBT Code is – C301.
Dates and Deadlines
|2019 Application Deadline||Interview Decision||Final Decision|
|February 1||February 15||March 29|
|May 1||May 15||June 26|
|August 1||August 15||September 26|
(for applicants exempt from long
term Swiss visa requirements *)
|October 11||October 31|
Fees & Expenses
|Application fee||CHF 200|
|Tuition for year||CHF 60,000|
|Fees for year||CHF 25,000|
|1st installment/deposit: upon acceptance of admission||CHF 15,000|
|2nd installment: 30 September||CHF 15,000|
|3rd installment: 28 February||CHF 40,000|
|4th installment: 30 April||CHF 15,000|
According to the B-Schools, loans from Prodigy Finance are disbursed at the end of February in time for the 3rd and 4th installments, therefore you will need to cover the two first deadlines yourself. The first installment is non-refundable.
All fees quoted are exclusive of any value-added or other indirect taxes that may be due in any country.
As per the B-School, estimate average housing and living expenses for a single person to be CHF 36,000
This estimate obviously depends on your lifestyle. You can reduce costs by sharing accommodation, but if you are coming with your family you will need to increase your overall budget depending on the number and ages of those accompanying you.
As per the B-School, they aim to encourage high achievers from around the globe who don’t necessarily have the financial means to apply, but do have the potential, drive and passion that we are looking for. If you have the desire and ability to join the best group of 90, they want to help you.
IMD is committed to fostering the growth in diversity through our merit and need-based MBA scholarships. These include one full scholarship and four 80% scholarships. In the current class, 56% of women participants were awarded a scholarship.
For all scholarship applications (except the merit and CO-RO scholarships) you will need to submit our MBA Financial Aid form with the following supporting documents: yearly proof of salary, tax return form, latest bank account statements.
- Awarded Scholarships 38%
- Range Awarded 10-85 K
- Total Amount Awarded in 2019: 1M
When writing your scholarship essay, be sure to use the IMD MBA Scholarship Template, to respect the word limit and to express your personal point of view in your own words, supported by proper citation if necessary.
Scholarships are granted subject to nomination by the scholarship selection committee, acceptance into the program and confirmation of your intention to participate in the program by paying the advance deposit.
IMD reserves the right not to award a scholarship if the criteria are not met to the satisfaction of the jury/sponsors.
For detailed list of scholarships, please visit the official B School website.
IMD MBA Admissions Process
As per the B-School, the IMD MBA assessment has been specifically designed to offer a more in-depth, mutual opportunity for us to get to know each other better. As per B-School, they will be looking to develop our understanding of the unique aspects that you will bring to the program. You should equally take this time to assess our culture, teaching style, network and vision because we want you to be able to get the most out of this year as possible.
When choosing your application deadline, ensure you leave enough time to fully prepare in advance while also bearing in mind any other constraints that will influence your decision timing.
Once they have reviewed your application, successful candidates will be invited for an interview and further assessment, which will include an elevator pitch, a team experience, class observation (where possible) and networking with our participants or alumni and members of the MBA team.
The majority of assessment days take place here on campus so that you have the chance to explore and get a feel for the area. However, they also organize international assessment days.
|Deadline||International assessment regions and dates*|
|February 1||Mexico (February 25), Sao Paulo (February 28) , Dubai (March 4),
New Delhi (March 14 & 15), Singapore (March 19)
|May 1||Johannesburg (May 16), New York (May 21), Singapore (June 5 & June 6)|
|August 1||Mexico (September 3 & 4), Singapore (September 11 & 12)|
*These dates will be confirmed at the time of your invitation to an interview
- Jan-Mar: Set foundations Core courses and start-ups
- Oct-Jan: My MBA Prepare, set expectations, come together
- Apr-Jun: Forge Ahead Core Courses, innovation and discovery
- July: Summer break Relax, recharge & reflect
- Aug-Nov: Refine Core Courses, digital & ICP
- Nov: Customize Electives
- Dec: My Future Graduation and Life-long learning
- Business & Society
- Change Management
- Leadership & Communications
- Digital electives
- Finance electives
- Sustainability electives
- Strategy electives
- Analytical electives
2018 placement Statistics
- Average Salary: US$ 135,635
- Median Salary: US$ 127,249
- Sign on Bonus: US$ 28,329
- Manufacturing 24%
- Consumer Products 16%
- Technology/Media 12%
- Chemicals/Energy 7%
- Pharmaceutical/Healthcare 5%
- Non-Profit / Real Estate / Transportation & Logistics Services / Other 2%
- Others 6%
Consulting Industry 23%
Financial Services 5%
- Industry change: 75%
- Function Change: 68%
- Geography change: 67%
- 95% of the class changed function, industry or geography
- 82% changed at least two dimensions
- Philip Morris International
- Mckinsey & Company
Recent News about IMD Switzerland
Admission is open for 2021 entry to the one-year MBA program at IMD with the application deadlines on February 1,…
Admission is open for 2021 entry to the one-year MBA program at IMD with the application deadlines on February 1,…
Data from Previous Years
- IMD “Position sought after graduation” essay: Please give us your short term career goal post MBA (up to 5 years). Describe how the IMD MBA will help you achieve this goal and how you will approach your job search. (2000 characters max)
The maximum length for each essay is 1230 characters including <space>. Essay 1 is double length.
- IMD “Most important achievement” essay: What do you consider to be your single most important achievement and why? (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 1: Two situations of importance to you: (Please describe two situations, business or otherwise, in which you were involved and which were of importance to you. Explain why you view them as such.)
- IMD Essay 2: Failure to reach objective: Please comment on a situation where you failed to reach an objective and what you learned from it.(1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 3: Leadership: Describe a situation where you had to demonstrate strong leadership skills. Explain how effective you were and what you learned. (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 4: Describe yourself: How do you imagine your superior would describe your strengths and weaknesses to someone who does not know you? (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 5: International Exposure: Describe a situation where you successfully worked across cultures and/or nations. (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 6: Differentiators: IMD receives numerous applications per year. Give us four bullet points that clearly differentiate you from this applicant pool. (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 7: Alternatives: If you are not admitted, what alternatives will you consider? (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 8: Finance: Please explain how you intend to finance your studies at IMD. What would be your budget? Note: this has no influence on the admissions decision. (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 9: Disability / illness: Do you have a disability or illness that could affect your performance at IMD? If so, please explain. (1230 characters max)
- IMD Essay 10: Additional Information (Optional question): Is there any additional information that is critical for the Admissions Committee to know which has not been covered elsewhere in this application? (1230 characters max)