The GMAT Exam – Pattern, Exam Dates, Syllabus & More
The GMAT can seem like an irritant – the mountain standing between your dream business school and you.
Students wonder why they need to give the GMAT to get admission to a business school.
“What do ‘speed time and distance’ problems have to do with business problems?”, “why am I correcting sentences? I want to be a manager, not an editor!” are common refrains.
All these are fair questions! The GMAT can seem arbitrary. In this guide we try and explain the ins and outs of the exam to make it less of a mystery.
Cracking the GMAT will take hard-work and patience. But rest assured, we will understanding the beast super easy! (LINKS to pages)
What is GMAT?
The full form of GMAT is Graduate Management Admission Test.
The GMAT is an online computer adaptive entrance test for admission to a masters program in business such as Masters in Business Administration (MBA).
Computer adaptive test? What is that?
Computer-adaptive tests are designed to adjust their level of difficulty—based on the responses provided—to match the knowledge and ability of a test taker. If a student gives a wrong answer, the computer follows up with an easier question; if the student answers correctly, the next question will be more difficult.
Everyone who gives the GMAT sees a different set of questions. And every question you answer correctly increases the difficulty of the next question presented to you in the exam.
So everyone who gives the GMAT sees a different set of questions. And every question you answer correctly increases the difficulty of the next question presented to you in the exam.
The final score, in GMAT therefore depends on the difficulty level of questions that the student had attempted. Correct answers to difficult questions will result in obtaining higher scores while correct responses to easier questions will result in getting lower scores.
Who conducts the GMAT exam?
The GMAT exam is conducted by Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). GMAC is an international non-profit organization of business schools that provides products and services to academic institutions and prospective graduate management education students.
|GMAT Full Form||Graduate Management Admission Test|
|Organizing Body||Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC)|
|Exam Mode||Computer based adaptive test|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours 7 minutes|
|Examination Fee||US$ 250|
|GMAT Test Centers||650 Centers in 114 countries around the world|
|GMAT Scorecard Validity||5 Years|
|Prerequisites||No official prerequisites.|
GMAT’s Official Website
The official website of the GMAT exam is MBA.com
What does the GMAT exam test?
The GMAT assesses: Quantitative aptitude, verbal aptitude, writing ability, analytical skills, logic, critical reasoning skills, needed for successfully completing a management course.
Which courses / programs can I get admission to with a GMAT score?
More than 7,000 programs at approximately 2,300+ graduate business schools around the world accept the GMAT as part of the selection criteria for their graduate management programs, including
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
- Masters in Business Management (MiM / MBM)
- Master of Accountancy
- Master of Finance programs among others
Colleges Accepting GMAT
When can I take the GMAT? GMAT Exam Dates 2019 – 2020
There is no single date to take the GMAT unlike other competitive exams which are held once or twice a year.
The GMAT is offered on many days throughout the year. You can usually find the GMAT given on almost every day of the week, especially if you live a in a large city.
Fact: Candidates have to wait at least five years to take the GMAT Exam again if the previously obtained GMAT score is a perfect score of 800
You can register for GMAT appointments anytime between six months and 24 hours before you’re desired date, depending on availability.
Given the rush during admissions season, you should sign up at least a few weeks in advance to secure a spot.
GMAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate must have completed 18 years of age
- There is no upper age limit of the candidate
- If the candidate is between 13 to 17 years old, they should have permission in writing from their parents or legal guardian
- Nationality: There are no restrictions regarding the nationality of the applicant
- Academic Qualification: You only need a bachelor degree from a recognized institute to be eligible for the exam. However the academic qualification criteria demanded varies for college to college
- Age Limit: A candidates applying for GMAT Exam must be at least 18 years old. In case, a candidate’s age varies between 13-17 years, then he/she must provide a written proof of guardian’s consent for taking GMAT Test.
- Number of Attempts: Candidates can appear for GMAT Exam a maximum of 5 times in a year.
- Retaking the GMAT: Candidates have to wait for a minimum of 16 days before taking the test again.
- Cooling off period: Candidates have to wait at least five years to take the GMAT Exam again if the previously obtained GMAT score is a perfect score of 800.
What is a good GMAT score? What are the GMAT Cutoffs For Top B-Schools?
Read this article to understand What is a Good GMAT Score? (LINK)
GMAT scores for Top 10 US MBA programs
GMAT Scores at Top One Year MBA Programs in India
Average GMAT Score
ISB Hyderabad and Mohali
POST GRADUATE PROGRAMME IN MANAGEMENT (PGP)
PGPX-Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPX): One Year Full Time Executive MBA
Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP) – One Year Full Time Executive MBA
PGDM (General Management) – 15 Months Programme
PGPM – 15 Months Programme
Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
PGPM- 15 Months Programme
Top 10 Indian MBA choices with GMAT scores
|University/College||Program||Average GMAT Score Range Over the Years (out of 800)||Total Fee|
|Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad||PGP, YLP||700-710||INR 25,54,725|
|Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad||PGPX||700-710||INR 24,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore||EPGP||695-7||INR 22,77,500|
|Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta||PGPEX||700-710||INR 22,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow||IMPX||680-700||INR 19,11,000|
|XLRI, Jamshedpur||GMP||680-700||INR 14,95,000|
|Indian Institute of Management, Indore||EPGP||680-700||INR 18,00,000|
|S.P.Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai||PGDM||680-700||INR 17,40,000|
|IMT, Ghaziabad||PGDM, PGDM-Ex||690||INR 15,00,000|
|Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai||PGPM||680||INR 17,70,000|
Recent updates in GMAT
- The Graduate Management Admission Council has shortened the GMAT exam by 30 minutes (effective from 16 April 2018).
- The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative sections are shortened by 13 and 10 minutes respectively
- The new exam will be of 3 hours and 30 minutes including test instructions and breaks.
- The Integrated Reasoning and Analytical Writing Assessment along with the Score Preview and the optional break time remain the same.
- Candidates now have the flexibility to customize their GMAT experience by choosing the section order in which they feel most comfortable taking the exam
Fact: GMAT 2019 does not have any negative marking
Why GMAT? Why Do I Need To Give GMAT?
The GMAT can seem like an irritant – the only thing between your dream business school and you.
It’s not uncommon for students to wonder “What do ‘speed time and distance’ problems have to do with business problems? Why am i correcting sentences? I want to be a manager, not an editor!”
And you are right! The GMAT exam is not a good predictor of your success in running your own business or managing a business for someone else.
What it is good at, is predicting how well a student will perform academically in the first year of a graduate business education, at least as per GMAC. According to GMAC, it has continually performed validity studies to statistically verify that the exam predicts success in business school programs.
Second, the GMAT is a standardized test, so it’s seen as an equalizer in the admissions process. Some business school admissions factors, like letters of recommendation or undergraduate GPA, are more subjective. For example, your undergraduate GPA could be influenced by the rigor of the school you attended or the exact courses you took. By contrast, the GMAT is administered in the same format and under the same time limits to thousands of students every year, and the content has been examined and revised to ensure it’s fair for students of various backgrounds.
For MBA aspirants in India, with the GMAT exam scores you can apply to the following types of management programs:
- International MBA
- International Masters in Management programs
- One Year MBA in India at ISB, IIMs, etc
- Two Year MBA in India at 100+ B-schools/Universities (for foreign students)
GMAT Exam Pattern
|Section||Time Limit||Number Of Questions||Question Type||Score Range|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||30 min||1||Analysis of an Argument||0-6 (in 0.5-point increments)|
|Integrated Reasoning||30 min||12||Graphics Interpretation, Table Analysis, Multi-source Reasoning, Two-part Analysis||1-8 (in 1-point increments)|
|Quantitative Reasoning||62 min||31||Data Sufficiency, Problem Solving||6-51 (in 1-point increments)|
|Verbal Reasoning||65 min||36||Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, Sentence Correction||6-51 (in 1-point increments)|
GMAT is a three and a half hours test with a maximum score of 800 points. The entire GMAT Exam syllabus divided into four sections.
- Analytical Reasoning
- Integrated Reasoning
- Quantitative Aptitude Section
- Verbal Reasoning Section
GMAT Registration 2019:
- Candidates aspiring to take the GMAT can register themselves any time of the year.
- It is advisable that candidates devise a proper timeline prior to registering for the examination.
- The GMAT Registration process is accessible in both online and offline modes.
How to register for the GMAT?
- The first step is to create an account with GMAC on the official website of GMAT.
- Once the account is created the candidates can opt for any of the below-mentioned GMAT 2019 Registration. The same modes are available for rescheduling or canceling GMAT Test:
- Online on the official website of GMAT: The candidate can register themselves directly on the official website of GMAT
- Through Phone: This can be done by calling the GMAT Customer Service in your region with an additional fee of US$10.
- Through Postal Mail: If the candidate pays via cheque or money order, this is the only option to register and schedule the GMAT Exam.