One year MBA / PGPX at IIM Ahmedabad
- Name of the B-School: Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Name of the Course: Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives
- Course Duration: One Year
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Start date: April 2020
- Location: Ahmedabad, Gujrat
PGPX at IIM A is EQUIS accredited.
Ranked 2nd in NIRF Best Management Institute in India, 2019.
What is IIM A PGPX?
As per the B-School, the Post Graduate Program in Management for Executives (MBA-PGPX) is one of the finest one-year, full-time, residential programs in the world. Carefully designed by the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad for bright, enthusiastic, and aspirational executives with substantial professional experience, the PGPX program attracts top talents from diverse industries, cultures, and geographies. Each year, the PGPX program participants are hand-picked by the faculty of IIM Ahmedabad to ensure a rich, diverse, and well-balanced in-class learning experience for all participants.
- Total students 140
- Female 32
- Male 108
- Average Age: 32 Years
- Average Work Experience: 8.9 Years
- Diverse work experience: 21 Industries and 140 companies represented
- Average International Experience possessed by Students 1.5 Years
- 9.29% of NRIs admitted reside outside India, spread across 6 countries
- 35% of the batch has worked abroad before joining IIMA PGPX 2019
- Average GMAT Score: 702
- Average GRE Score: 320
- 2 (0.71%) are international students
- 13 (9.29%) are residing outside India, spread across 6 countries
- 49 (35.00%) have international exposure in terms of work and studies
- 5 (3.57%) have obtained their degree(s) from outside their home country
- 23 (14.43%) have a higher qualification (Professional, Masters) than bachelors
- 124 (88.57%) are engineers
- 37 (26.43%) have graduated from IIT/NITs
The industry mix includes Academic and Education, Advertising / Communication / Media / Entertainment, Aerospace and Aviation, Agriculture, Banking, Financial services and Insurance, Consulting, Defence and Security, Energy and Utilities, FMCG / Consumer Durables, Food and Food Processing, Government Enterprises and Public Sector Undertaking, Infrastructure and Construction, IT & ITeS, IT Products, Manufacturing / Engineering, Metals and Mining, NGO and Social Services, Pharma / Bio-Tech / Healthcare / Hospitals, Retail / Ecommerce, Shipping / Transportation / Logistics and Telecom
|Academics and Education||1|
|Aerospace and Aviation||1|
|Banking, Financial services and Insurance||9|
|Defence and Security||3|
|Energy and Utilities||16|
|Food and Food Processing||1|
|Govt. and PSUs||9|
|Infrastructure and Construction||3|
|IT and ITeS||23|
|Metals and Mining||1|
|NGO and Social Services||1|
|Client Account Management||4|
|Engineering and Maintenance||16|
|Finance and Accounting||10|
|IT based Operations||3|
|IT based Project Management||13|
|IT based Research and Development||9|
|Knowledge Worker (BPO/KPO)||1|
|Non-IT based Operations||2|
|Non-IT based Project Management||9|
|Non-IT based Research and Development||3|
|Quality Assurance/Quality Control||1|
|Sales and Marketing||10|
Dates and Deadlines
|Round 1||Round 2|
|Application and shortlist|
|23:59IST / 18:29GMT / 13:29EST||23:59IST / 18:29GMT / 13:29EST|
|Essay Submission||Sep 09-14, 209||Nov 09-14, 2019|
|Ahmedabad||Sep 21-22, 2019||Nov 23-24, 2019|
|Delhi||Sep 21-22, 2019||Nov 23-24, 2019|
|Mumbai||Sep 28-29, 2019||Nov 30, 2019 & Dec 01, 2019|
|Bangalore||Oct 05-06, 2019||Dec 07-08, 2019|
|New York / London*||Oct 12-13, 2019||Dec 14-15, 2019|
|Offers and waitlist||21-Oct-19||27-Dec-19|
Admission process And Eligibility criteria
As per the B-School, Full Time One Year Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPX) Admission process is as follows
The selection of the candidates for admission to the PGPX 2020-21 batch will be conducted in two rounds. Candidates can submit their application during any of the two rounds. PGPX students are selected through a rigorous admissions process that includes standardized test scores (GMAT / GRE), leadership profiling and personal interviews. The selection process for the PGPX 2020-21 batch is a two-stage process.
In the first stage, the candidates are short-listed for the Personal Interview from among the candidates who have applied to the program and who satisfy the eligibility criteria for the program described below.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in any discipline (minimum 15 years of study as per the education system in India i.e. 10 + 2 + 3 or 4 as the case may be)
- Minimum age of 25 years as on 31st March of the year in which the PGPX program commences. (e.g. For PGPX 20-21 commencing in April 2020, the candidate should have completed 25 years of age by March 31, 2020, i.e. must be born on or before March 31, 1995). There is no upper age limit.
- A valid GMAT/GRE score (GMAT/GRE scores are valid for five years form the date to the application deadline date of the round in which candidate is applying. The earliest acceptable GMAT/GRE test date for the two rounds are:
Round 1: August 28, 2014
Round 2: October 25, 2014
Please note that the IIMA PGPX code for GMAT is CQQ-RR-60 and for GRE is 4432/2237 and use these codes to have your score sent directly to IIMA. Your office score report from Pearson / GMAC (for the GMAT) or ETS (for the GRE) will be used for verification.
- Minimum 4 years of full-time work experience after completion of graduation as on March 31, 2020
The short-listed candidates are expected to submit essays on specific topics, within the stipulated time period.
In the second and final stage of the selection process, the short-listed candidates will be interviewed by a panel of IIMA faculty members. The panel will evaluate the candidate on several parameters (e.g. professional background, quality of experience, progression in career, academic preparedness, leadership potential, accomplishment and interpersonal skills) and assess the candidate’s fitment for the program.
Fee & Scholarship
The Program Fee for PGPX 2019-20 is INR 25,00,000 (INR Twenty Five Lacs) and cost of International Immersion Program (IIP).
PGPX fee is usually a packaged / bundled fee which includes, for every student—tuition fees, books and course materials, accommodation, food charges (for those who are staying in SSH) and other service facilities such as library, computing, network changes etc. However this does not include the cost of International Immersion Program (IIP). Utilities such as electricity, telephone, laundry, sports/gym subscription are additional and to be paid as per usage charges.
IIMA accepts online payments for various purposes through Credit card/Debit card/Net Banking.
Usually several banks are interested in offering loans to those admitted to the PGPX. International students, apart from their own banking sources, can approach bank branches of Indian banks in their countries.
List of Banks
- Central Bank
- State Bank of India
- Axis Bank
Scholarships on Offer:
The program has instituted 5 Interest Waiver Scholarship on merit basis which will work as interest waiver on bank loan taken by students (for the program fee) for a year. Maximum amount for the scholarship can go up to 3 Lakhs.
Program Structure as per the B-School: This program follows a six-segment course structure, each segment seamlessly joined to the next. The segments are
- Building Blocks
- Preparing for Top Management
- International Immersion
Spread over two and a half days, it gives the students a chance to get familiar with the infrastructure, co-curricular and extra- curricular activities, while tuning into the program content and the IIMA method of learning. It also helps the student to understand the self while making the transition to the PGPX and the future.
The core segment gives the students a rigorous grounding in the fundamentals of management. It crystallizes and enhances their basic conceptual and analytical knowledge, pre-disposing them for managerial effectiveness.
Preparing for Top Management: This segment, which is the differentiating element of the PGPX, further develops the students’ skills, enabling them to better understand and envision the dynamics within complex management problems. It also prepares them for visionary leadership, being change agents and playing a role at the top.
Students are immersed in two intensive weeks of academics in an international location. This segment equips students with understanding of macro-level dynamics and unfamiliar economic environment in a foreign country.
The students are offered a wide range of elective courses including on marketing, finance, supply chain management, strategic management and various sectoral areas. While electives depend on student interest and faculty supply, this allows students the freedom of electives in areas of passion and proficiency, making every student’s experience unique and customized to his or her chosen growth path. It is also an opportunity to explore new areas of learning and a chance to reflect on and leverage past experience
As part of the ‘electives’ segment, students can opt for an Individual Research Project (IRP). The project is executed by PGPX participants with a faculty advisor. The result is a high quality written output, which could be any of
- A case with analysis
- An Industry Note
- A paper on “Bridging the Divide” (focusing on a socio economic divide affecting the world)
- A business plan for an entrepreneur
A finale as an encapsulation of the learning experience, this segment provides an opportunity to integrate learning from the entire program, reflect on one’s own experience as an executive and understand what it means to work in large, multidisciplinary teams facing tough deadlines.
IIM A PGPX Placement 2019
- Higher domestic salary in 2019 compared to 2018:IIM Ahmedabad has shared that the highest domestic salary for One Year MBA / MBA For Executives (PGPX) has also gone up to Rs.60 Lacs per annum in 2019 as compared to Rs.54.6 LPA in 2018
- Higher international Salary in 2019 compared to 2018: The international package of $ 109,666 (Rs.76.76 lakhs) is much higher than the highest package of $70,252 bagged by a student in 2018
- The highest international salary figure is the same as the average international salary figure as there was only 1 international offer
- Average domestic salary for PGPX in 2019: Rs.30,35,708
- Minimum Domestic Salary for PGPX in 2019: Rs 17,00,000
Past Year Placement data
- IIM A 1 Year MBA / MBA For executives (PGPX) Placements Report – 2019
- IIM A 1 Year MBA / MBA For executives (PGPX) Placements Report – 2018
- IIM A 1 Year MBA / MBA For executives (PGPX) Placements Report – 2017
- IIM A 1 Year MBA / MBA For executives (PGPX) Placements Report – 2016
- IIM A 1 Year MBA / MBA For executives (PGPX) Placements Report – 2015
Got a comment, question or input? Share it below!
[news_focus cat=”IIM-Ahmedabad” /]
IIM Ahmedabad PGPX old data
Class size : 101
|Work experience as on August 10, 2011 (application deadline)||10 yrs 5 mths|
|International work experience as on August 10, 2011 (application deadline)||3 yrs 2 mths|
|Age as on March 31, 2012 (starting of course)||34 yrs 0 mths|
6 international students
74 have international exposure in terms of work and studies.
31 (36.47%) are residing outside India
Only Bachelors: 48
Bachelors & above: 37
Female students: 6
Roles – Students from PGPX class of 2012 have accepted roles such as the CTO, GM, Vice president, Director, Assistant Vice President, and several other senior management positions. The students have been offered roles in India and abroad. Some of the recruiters such as Boston Consulting Group, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Microsoft, Oracle, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Google, Infosys, Accenture, Wipro, Cognizant, Mind tree, Tata Motors, Ericsson, Deloitte etc. have visited the campus.
Compensation details for Class of 2012 are as follows as per the placement report audited by Crisil
Please find the detailed report here.
Following is the eligibility criteria for the IIMA PGPX (2014-15):
1) Bachelors Degree or equivalent in any discipline
2) Minimum Age: 27 years at the start of the programme
3) GMAT score obtained between April 1, 2010 and August 10, 2013 ( for 2014-15 Batch).
4) Graduate should have 6 to 7 years of post qualification, full time work experience. Post graduate should have 5 to 6 years of experience. PhD/M.Phil can be evaluated on case to case basis.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants for IIMA PGPX 2014-15 have to submit their GMAT score obtained between April 1, 2010 and August 10, 2013. Candidates are required to send scores from Pearson website to IIM A. The application will be considered incomplete if the school doesn’t receive official GMAT scores from Pearson by the application deadline.
- Fill the online application form.
- If you are shortlisted you will have to submit essays by email.
- If you get an interview call you will have to appear for a 30 min personal interview.
- Wait for the final results
Short-listed candidates for interviews are required to send a write-up on the following topics (about 500 words each).
- IIMA PGPX Essay 1: What do you expect to gain from the PGPX course at IIMA?
- IIMA PGPX Essay 2: Describe a situation that has demonstrated your leadership qualities.
- IIMA PGPX Essay 3: Describe the single event or achievement that has significantly influenced your life.
- IIMA PGPX Essay 4: Give a description of yourself stressing the personal characteristics that you feel are your strengths and weaknesses.
- IIMA PGPX Essay 5: Any other information that you believe will help us make a favourable decision on your application.
According to the institute, the fee for PGPX-VII (2012-13) is INR 21,50,000. This includes tuition, books & course material, library, computing and network charges, placement, alumni, internationalimmersion, stay and food charges for the period of stay on the campus.
There are several banks interested in offering loans for pursuing PGPX. International students can approach bank branches of Indian banks in their countries.
Please click here for the details of loan schemes from banks available for PGPX.