XAT Examination Preparation
XAT 2020 will be conducted on January 5 and this is the time to speed up your preparations. In the last 10 days before the examination, devote all your time for revision and preparation of your exam day strategy. Since the XAT is a speed-based test, it is necessary to fulfil the sectional cut off. Thus, your main focus should be to clear the cut-off.
Here are the five main things you need to concentrate on in the last few days leading to the XAT 2020 exam.
- Revise all the short cuts and tricks you have come up with while practicing the XAT mock tests.
- Do not start a new topic or a new concept as it will only lead to unnecessary confusion. Build on whatever you have studied till now.
- Go through the interviews of XAT toppers of previous years to get an insight on how to solve the question paper.
- Gain an understanding of the XAT marking scheme, the expected admission cut off and develop the skill to identify those questions that will get you to the required score.
- Practice Decision Making questions and revise GK topics. Be completely thorough with Maths formulae, theorems and principles.
Also Check XAT 2020 Counselling Selection Process
How to prepare for XAT 2020?
Candidates who have been preparing for the XAT exam for the last seven months or more are definitely in an advantageous position as they have finished covering the entire syllabus and memorizing the concepts and formulae.
However, those who started their preparations in October-November must gear up their preparations in full swing for XAT 2020 exam. Build a solid strategy that is focussed on the essentials and your strengths. Start your preparations with your strong areas and then move on to the weaker ones. Here are some tips to prepare for XAT in 2 months.
- Prepare a time table for every day and dedicate 4-5 hours to studying. Based on the XAT syllabus make a list of your strong and weak areas.
- Familiarize yourself with the XAT exam pattern and test structure to prepare a time-bound exam preparation strategy. As there’s only limited time left, you have to pay attention to topics from which maximum questions are asked.
- Join online study groups/communities and find a mentor to guide you through your preparation.
- Download study materials, MBA exam preparation apps and videos devoted to each section to be able to study on the go. Remember every minute counts.
- Allot a time limit for each section and do not exceed it.
- In the last month, practice XAT mock tests and review your performance. The key to all competitive exams is practice. So attempt as many mock tests as possible.
The above-mentioned strategies were for the general exam preparation. Here’s a guide to the section-wise XAT preparation.
Also Check XAT Exam Syllabus
Section-wise XAT preparation plan
This section is unique to XAT and the only way to crack this section is by practicing the previous years’ XAT question papers.
Verbal & Logical Ability
This section is focused on English Grammar and Reading Comprehension (RC). Cultivate the habit of reading books and newspapers. Most of the RC sections are based on literature and abstract topics, and you should be able to understand the gist of the passage by skimming through it.
While practicing for RC in mock tests, focus on keywords and relate them with other words to pick the right option.
Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
This section requires a thorough knowledge of the concepts and theorems. Practice well by solving the same Quant section a couple of times to understand the application of the concept. After solving each question, cross-check with the answer key to decipher the logic behind that answer. Once you are thorough with the concept and its application, practice well so that you can improve your speed.
This section is the simplest one taking preparation into consideration. Commence your preparations after completing the Decision Making, Verbal & Logical Ability and Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation syllabus.
To study static GK, read the Manorama Year Book. Keep yourself updated about the current affairs by regularly going through the newspapers and news channels on TV. Though this section could end up being quite tricky, you could still attempt this section as there is no negative marking.
XAT 2020 Exam Day Tips
On the day of your examination, remember to keep calm and remain stress-free. Wake up early and reach the exam center on time. Keep the following in mind while you attempt the examination:
- The Decision Making, Verbal & Logical Ability and Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation sections have negative marking so choose the questions wisely. Pick only those for which you are100 per cent sure of the answer.
- The XAT exam is for 180 minutes and there are a total of 100 questions. Set about 15-20 minutes for the GK section and divide the remaining time in such a way that you get at least 1 minute for each question.
- If you are stuck at a particular section, move on to the next section and attempt it later as there is no sectional time-limit in XAT.
- Make sure to complete all the questions you know. Focus on achieving a good sectional percentile to ensure a good overall percentile.
- Remember to stay calm and composed during the exam. Focus on what you know and complete the examination.
- XAT Examination Cut-Offs
- XAT Examination Syllabus
- XAT Examination Dates
- XAT Examination Registration
- XAT Examination Results
- XAT Examination Answer Key
- XAT Examination Analysis
- XAT Examination Counselling And Selection
- Best Books For XAT Preparation